Taking up zumba for fitness
by Bhoomi Agnani
August 2, 2019
I was always a fat child. Going to the gymÂ and doing a boring and repetitive set of the same exercise made me sick. Every time I use to take a subscription to the gym and would not go.
Until one day, I was passing by a fitness studio and I heard shouting and screaming â€˜hey-heyâ€™. I went up and saw some fitness session â€˜ZUMBAâ€™ was going on. Casually I asked for a demo class and I enjoyed so much so that after attending a few sessions I enrolled myself to become a Zumba instructor.
Itâ€™s been 3 years now as a Zumba Instructor, it is stressbuster for me. It not only helped me reduce my weight, but I feel confident about my body. I can easily strike a balance between my Zumba classes and my studies. The fat little girl inside me is happy because with consistency and discipline I have improved my health.
What is Zumba
It was introduced in Colombia in the 1990s when an instructor named Beto Perez forgot to bring his workout music to the class. So, he decided not to follow the traditional workout music and play some salsa and cumbia as they would play in the club. That class became memorable for him and clients that day enjoyed so much more than usual days. Zumba is a medium intensity dance workout. Various forms of Zumba are introduced according to the age group like Zumba Jr & Sr kids, Zumba gold(for old age), Strong by Zumba( HIIT workout), Aqua Zumba and many more.
How can people get started
If you find going to the gym boring and you want to be fit but at the same time it should be fun so Zumba is the answer to it. I am not saying because I am a Zumba instructor myself but it is so easy to start a class anywhere in the world. Zumba is everywhere now. Visit your nearest gym or fitness studio and enroll yourself. Talk to them if you can take at least one to two demo classes. Feel the vibe of the class.
It is so easy and simple to find a class even if you are shifted to a new city or you are on a vacation and you want to attend Zumba class, visit www.zumba.com enter your city under the classes tab and select according to your suitable timing and place. You are ready to rock and roll.
Essentials for Zumba class
Before you jump into Zumba classes there are few things that have to be kept in mind,
- Proper shoes; the shoe should be comfortable and should have a good sole.
- Carry a water bottle, small towel, extra pair of t-shirt you might want to change after class.
- Be hydrated before and after Zumba sessions.
What to Expect
- Zumba is a high-low-intensity cardio workout and in one class generally, people burn 500 â€“ 700 calories.
- There is no age limit and clients feel so energetic after the class is because of the music.
- Zumba is a combination of different music taken from all over the world like salsa, cumbia, bhangra folk fusion, hip-hop and many more. So, there is no chance you will feel bored during class.
- Lots of screaming and shouting with joy.
- Basic dance moves like sleepy legs, salsa front and back, jumping jacks, squats, hip roll, marching and many more.
Benefits and Drawbacks
- You meet so many people and try to make new friends that share the same fitness goals as yours.
- It helps in weight loss, build strength.
- Improve your heart rate,Â helps in toning ofÂ the body, socialize.
- It reduces blood pressure and bad cholesterol, lowers the risk of having heart disease.
- If you go to regular class within 3 months you will feel the difference in your body.
- Little tiring and body ache may happen as your body is not used to all these moves.
- Dehydration as you sweat a lot during class.
The specific area it targets
- Legs: There are various movements that specifically target quads, hamstrings, calves.
- Core: Dance moves are designed in such a manner that targets hips and midsection to help strengthen the core.
- Glutes: Routine emphasis on glutes too as much as legs and core.
Is Zumba good if there is any health condition
- If you are suffering from back pain, knee pain, arthritis, heart problem, low blood pressure consult your doctor before joining the class and if your doctor permits then before entering the Zumba class tell your instructor about your problem. They will pay extra attention to you during the class.
- If you have any physical condition like handicap consider wheelchair Zumba classes. It is a non-weight bearing workout.
- Pregnant ladies and Diabetic patients can join Zumba. But again the instructor should know about your health condition and with due permission of the doctor.
What diet to follow with Zumba
Burning calories is good but what you intake throughout the day is also very important.
- Stay hydrated throughout the day. Drink at least 8 to 12 glasses a day.
- Avoid eating junk and empty carbs like pasta, pizza, etc.
- Always have green veggies in your diet, customize your own salad.
- Always add protein in your diet like egg white, tofu, chicken.
- Eat small and frequent meals.
- Every day eat one fruit. Any seasonal fruit as it contains vitamin and minerals
- Try and avoid sugar as much as possible. Even artificial sugar is not good for health.
- Green tea is a blessing. Make it a habit of having green tea after 30mins of every meal.
Zumba has helped so many people in their fitness journey whether in weight loss or becoming a happy person or just stay motivated throughout the day. Moreover, it is not like the boring workout people do in the gym it is more like meeting friends, enjoying music and moving with the beats. I am so happy that I am doingÂ my bit to inspire people to stay fit and have fun at the same time. Join your Zumba class soon.
Leave a Comment...
August 9, 2019
Too much info in one blog
August 9, 2019
This is such an inspiring article. Zumba really seems to be the best and most enjoyable way to start the fitness journey. Thanks for the amazing post :)