Keeping Fit While Having Fun
by Michelle Marie Cassar
June 9, 2019
Fitness is important, we all know that! Not only it helps with looking good, it is key in keeping you in good health and helps to improve your quality of life. However, trying to fit in time for exercise can be a headache. With work, commuting, housework and a thousand other things to do, most of the time, exercise is the first thing I drop from my schedule.
How to keep fit when you are busy
My schedule looks something like this: work from 8.30 am to 7 pm, commuting for about 45 minutes daily, some housework before and after work, spend some time with my fiance and family or friends and then off to bed to prepare for another day. This leaves very little time for exercise. I am not an early bird, therefore, waking up early to exercise is the last option. The key to maintaining some form of exercise with such a busy schedule is by finding simple exercises you can do at work or at home while doing chores. The internet is a goldmine when it comes to finding simple exercises. It is also important to make every movement count.
Some fun ways to keep fit
Your exercise routine doesn’t have to be boring. If you are not a fan of the gym (like myself) you will rarely find time to exercise as your precious time can be used for other, more fun activities. There are a lot of ways to exercise that are fun. These are some of my personal favourites:
- Dancing: any kind of dancing will do but I would like to learn to ballroom dance professionally. Another genre of dancing that is fun and takes up a lot of energy is pole dancing.
- Speed walking: this can be easily incorporated in any schedule by parking a few blocks away from home and walking the rest of the way.
- Weight lifting: I hate cardio but lifting weights (after proper warming up) is a good way to burn a lot of calories in a few minutes.
- Swimming: living on an island where a beach is only 20 minutes away, swimming is a good option to stay cool and in shape. A few high power strokes can go a long way.
- Sex: yes it is a good workout and what’s more fun than sex?
Keeping up the passion for exercising
When you start working out, being all enthusiastic and proud of doing something new, it is easy to go back for the second and third time. However, keeping it up takes some self-convincing. The key to staying passionate about fitness is to enjoy even the smallest of results. A personal motivator is the fact that I can see a muscle taking shape where before it had no tone at all. Other small victories include fitting into an outfit that used to be too tight or buying a smaller size. Having a clear goal is also helpful but do not be discouraged if you get there in a different time frame than what you envisioned. Keep pushing to get there and you will achieve.